Yesterday was a transitional day. Granny and Grandad left for Utah, I started working from home and Marty became more insistent on talking. Marty only wrote 1 page of notes today. All the rest of his communication was either verbal or sign. That does pose a problem for my blogging though as his notes stood as reminders of the things which we had done for the day.
Technology is an amazing blessing in our lives. I was able to attend a divisional meeting yesterday via web conference. I don't feel like I missed out on a thing. That was my biggest fear working from home. The lapse in communication can be harmful to the business. However, because of the handy dandy cameras that are on most everyone's computers now, we can stay much more connected.
Toward the end of my video conference Roberta, our speech therapist friend showed up. (I must remember to mute my mic when company shows up. The whole meeting got a glimpse into their conversation as I answered a question for the Roberta :) ) Roberta is pushing Marty to say more and more as he has a desire to speak more and more. She started a notebook with him of the words he is to practice. Some new words: brother, sister, wife, friend. She also worked with him on a short sentence "Do we have plans?" He is supposed to ask me that every morning.
Because Roberta helped Marty form a full sentence, he now has more confidence that he can do that. Later in the day Marty asked me, "what can I do for you?" It took a long time and a lot of energy for him to get out those five words, but he was so pleased that he could. In our past lives, Marty did 100% of everything around the house. He was the caregiver of the four women in his life. He is not happy having us help him with everything. He really wants to help too.
Marty made dinner last night completely by himself. It actually started in the morning. It was a crock pot recipe that only required opening cans or packages of food and adding them to the crock pot. It took him about an hour to put it all together. I asked him if he remembered to turn it on to low. He answered yes and was so pleased. About 3 hours later, we discovered the crock pot wasn't plugged in. I had forgotten to ask him if it was plugged in. He was so hard on himself for not plugging it in. I assured him it was fine. It was as much my fault as it was his. I just asked him to turn it to high and it was just fine. Yummo dinner!
After the girls went to young women's, Marty wrote, "Are you too tired to make me a shake?" I suggested we go to Braum's instead. We hadn't been out of the house yet. We took the gift card my team got for me for Braum's and headed out. I have to admit it was nice to get out of the house. When we got to Braum's I encouraged Marty to order his own shake. He adamantly shook his head no. He just pointed at the flavor he wanted.
When we got home, Marty wrote down "I want to help you not stress so your sores will go away" (I currently have 5 boils I am nursing) "I watched some clips on how to give a good Back Rub to help with stress - would you like one before bed" In our past life, Marty would give me a hand, neck or back massage almost every night after work. I thought it was so sweet that he would remember that but not know how to do it. He used his IPAD, went to YouTube and watched videos to try to learn. Now, how can you turn down an offer like that? I have to admit, the back massage wasn't pre-stroke quality. However, the thoughtfulness more than made up for it.
A friend of ours recommended we read Alma 26:12-13
12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
The lord is definitely giving me strength to witness the mighty miracles he brings forth. I am grateful that I have the ability to watch Marty learn and grow every day. I learn more about service, love, compassion, and life every day. Yesterday was a good day. I pray for more good days.


0 comments:
Post a Comment