Love!

I sense that my blog posts will get shorter and shorter over time, as will the following of Marty's progress.  It's not to say that less is happening, but less new things are happening.  Today was just another pretty good day, with less emotions involved.

Today will also be entirely of my own memory (which isn't good) because Marty lost his notepad somewhere while out today.  This has been his primary source of communication and has been the outline for this journaling blog.  We aren't sure if we lost it at Walmart or Hobby Lobby, but we do feel like we've lost a friend.  Marty even cried when he realized he had lost his notebook. 

So, a few realizations from my perspective.  Marty has a sense of innocence about him.  He is aware that he is an adult, but really doesn't know anything.  He is experiencing so much for the first time.  I am grateful to be able to see the world through his eyes.  I have also realized that Marty has a very heightened sense of smell, taste, sight and hearing.  He smells EVERYTHING!  He wants to taste as many things as possible.  He see and hears things that most people would not pay attention to. 

So, let the day's journey begin. 

We got up at our normal time to get the kids ready for school and do our scripture study.  A great scripture from today's study can be found here

After we got Addyson and Jessica off to school, Marty wanted breakfast.  Our good friend Katie Gulbransen had brought over some muffins for breakfast.  I think Marty smelled every single muffin until he chose three.

While eating breakfast, Marty got a panicked look on his face.  He said he couldn't see.  There were spots everywhere.  My heart panicked.  Was he having another stroke?  I asked him what was wrong again.  He wrote down that he had looked right at the sun and now he couldn't see.  I looked at his pupils and they were just pindrops.  I asked him to close his eyes for just a minute and see if that helped.  A few minutes later he opened his eyes and could see just fine.  I told him to not look directly in the sun or it will hurt his eyes. 

My boss made a visit this morning and brought a ton of paper supplies, plus Marty's favorite icecream and a gift certificate for an outing to Braum's.  That will sure to be used this next week.  Marty was so sweet to get up and try to remember who Teddie was, even though he has never met her.  Teddie's daughter is sick right now.  When I told Marty that last night he asked if he could fast for her.  He remembered that this morning and remembered that he wants to make her apple butter.

Marty wrote a list of the things he had done this morning, made bed, made sandwiches, vacuum, then wrote "Does this always make me tired".  I reminded him that this is why he can't fast.  He needs food to keep his energy and strength while he gets better. Once he is healed, I think he will be fasting all the time.  He is intrigued by that idea.

My brother called yesterday and asked if an IPAD may be of help for Marty.  Devon is a tech guru and thought that the ease of an IPAD would be good for Marty to be able to listen to music and to be able to see pictures any time he wants.  Before Devon invests in one, I wanted Marty to try it out.  The computer gives him a headache, I think from the stress.  Nicole Bingham brought hers over this morning.  Marty had so much fun playing on it.  he loves that he can easily change from picture to picture.  he loves that the pictures are always right side up.  It was intuitive for him.  I am so indebted to Devon for his generosity.  I am eager to see how Marty will progress once he has some technology to assist him.  Pictures are doing the best at evoking memories and aiding in speech.

When Marty got out of the shower he said, "Cori".  Then made his sign for see.  I asked him if he wanted to see Cori.  He nodded yet.  I sent a text to Cori to see what her schedule was like.  Then Marty said "Cori home".  I asked if he wanted Cori to come here.  He shook his head no and made his sign for go.  I asked if he wanted to go to Cori's home.  He quickly nodded yes.  I got a hold of Cori and she wasn't home, but would be after 11.  All morning Marty kept saying "Cori home".  I reminded him it wasn't time yet.  Once it was time, we drove to Cori's house.

Cori had just bought her weekly groceries.  She buys different things that we do and Marty was fascinated by each one.  He would intently watch her put things away.  Once she had the refrigerated things put away she asked us to come into her family room.  Marty started signing talk and go over and over.  I couldn't figure out what he wanted.  I asked if he wanted to leave, if he wanted to stay and Cori and I go.  We finally figured out he wanted to talk to Cori without me there.  Cori and Marty went outside and left me on the couch.  I wasn't sure what he was planning, but I was a little concerned.  A few minutes later, they came back in smiling and Marty was ready to leave.  Whatever he needed to talk to Cori about was done and so it was time to go. 

Today was in the upper 60's and sunny.  Beautiful weather for January.  We decided to take the Miata out for a spin.  Marty loved the sun on his face and the wind in his hair.  He kept giving me the sign for good and saying car.  I then taught him the word fun.  He then would say "fun car".  When the girls got home he said "mom fun car".  They laughed.

We went to firehouse subs for lunch.  We have eaten there often, but I have never really paid attention to what he ordered.  I think I ordered him the right thing, but either way, he happily ate it.  When it was time to get drinks I got two different kinds, raspberry lemonade and cherry limeade.  I had Marty try both and choose which one he wanted.  He chose the cherry limeade.  I think this is his new favorite drink.  This is the third day in a row he has had a cherry limeade.

I told Marty that Walmart needed to be on my timeline and not his because we needed to go back to the house to wait for the girls.  He agreed, but was quickly distracted as we walked through the store.  He finally made the motion of a collar and a leash and indicated that was the only way he was going to be able to stay with me.  He made it out fairly quickly with no major issues.

We went to hobby lobby to pick up a couple things for Jessica's birthday on Sunday and to look at baskets.  I have a deep narrow cupboard that I wanted to add some baskets to to be easier to get to the back.  I wanted two that matched but wasn't having much luck.  Marty on the other hand quickly found two matching baskets that are perfect.  I love his eagle eyes.

Our Hobby Lobby is under construction as well.  Outside of the front doors they had a very large scissor lift.  Marty was intrigued by it.  I think he would have watched the men work and watch the equipment all day. 

After Hobby Lobby, Marty wanted to go see where the girls go to school.  When we drove by he signed "big".  Their school is very large!  Just as we were passing by, I got a text from Jessica that she was sick and needed a ride.  I told Marty we needed to go home and get another car and come back and get Jess.  (I realize now I should have called a friend to get Jess :) )  Marty wanted me to stop now and get her.  I told him we didn't have room.  He said she could sit on his lap.  I told him that wasn't safe and it was against the law.  He then wanted me to leave him on the side of the road and go back and get her.  I told him I wasn't doing that either.  He would get lost.  I told him it would only take a few minutes to get the other car.  Marty was so worried about Jess.  When I got home I put the icecream in the freezer while marty went inside.  He came back out a few minutes later with some food and medicines for Jessica.  He was going to fix her the minute he saw her.  (unfortunately he didn't bring the right kind of medicine for what ailed her, but at least he was thinking of her)

On the way back to the house we drove past our church.  It's the church we went to the first two years we lived here and the church we have been attending for the last 4 months.  He got so excited when he saw it.  When I asked if he remembers that building he nodded his head and signed that he had donated blood there.  That is true, but that was a one time occurance.  That building doesn't have a religious significance yet.

Two funny things happened in the bathroom today.  The first one, Marty changed the toilet paper roll himself.  He was so proud of himself.  He had to come get me to show me.  The second he brought me in and showed me all the steps he would do to use the bathroom (#1)  then made a stinky face.  I asked him if his pee was stinky.  I almost laughed at his face.  It must have been bad.  I told him he needs to drink more water.  If you don't drink enough water, you get stinky pee.

While we were in the bathroom talking about stinky pee, Marty pulled me close, looked me in the eyes, and with tears in his eyes said, "I love you".  Oh the tears!  He then made the sign for good and friend while saying Cori.  I asked if Cori taught him that.  He smiled yes.  He then showed me a crumpled up piece of paper in his pocket.  He had written "will you teach me I love you" and showed Cori.  That was why it was so important for Marty to see Cori this morning.  I am so grateful that I have good friends that can double as speach therapists.

When we were setting the table for dinner tonight, Marty asked if Conner was coming.  Conner ate dinner with us last night.  I suppose Marty feels like he is a part of our family.  I am grateful that Addyson has such an awesome friend.  Conner is welcome in our home any time.

After all I've done this week, I felt like I needed an escape tonight.  All three girls were home to look after Dad if he needed something so I headed to Braums.  I am so grateful for Cori and Terry for meeting me there.  It was nice to be able to decompress for a minute.  Sorry for the rampling, maybe Braums does it.  Who knows?

On a medical note, Marty doesn't go back to see the Neurologist until January 26.  They still haven't found him a speach therapist or an occupational therapist that is accepting new patience.  If you know someone in that field that needs a job, send them to Northwest Arkansas.  Apparently they are BUSY.  I told them I'll drive to Fort Smith or Joplin, but I want him to start therapy.  Kind of frustrating.  However, in the meantime, I am finding that the Lord is a great therapist.  If I will follow the promptings of the holy ghost, I am able to meet the needs of Marty.  One way or another we will figure this thing out.

I am repeatedly overwehlmed by the awesomeness of our friends.  I have learned how to better serve.  I have been served in ways that were so meaningful that I would have never have thought of on my own.  I pray that I never forget to see the world through Marty's eyes and that I never forget to love others as my friends love me.

2 comments:

DM said...

Oh DeAnne reading your blog is so incredibly uplifting. I can feel the spirit so strong. It's wonderful to hear the progress that Marty is making. Hang in there woman! You are amazing and things will only get easier w/ time! Let us know if you need ANYTHING! You guys are in our thoughts and prayers! Love you!!!

Jana said...

I love hearing the updates on Marty. We are praying for you and your family!